Denise Goldberg's blog

Boston to Oregon, a cross-country celebration
It's time to live my dream of riding my bicycle across the country

Thursday, August 1, 2002

Almost trapped by the wind

Pueblo to Canon City, CO

Short mileage day today with a very late start! I walked across the street at 6:45 this morning to pick up some milk and cereal at a convenience store. The day looked to be shaping up to be a good one, calm and cool. By the time I took everything outside at 7:40, things had changed. The wind was absolutely howling at 35 miles per hour from the north and west. Unfortunately, the direction I was planning to travel was straight into the wind. I think if I'd attempted it I would have ended up traveling backwards (or someone would have found me sitting by the side of the road in tears). One of the staff members at the hotel said that the wind started at about 7, so even an early start wouldn't have missed it. The wind was from a weather front passing through that is supposed to keep the temperature down (in the 80s) for the next several days. Everyone expected the front to come through, but no one expected the exceptionally strong wind.

Instead of checking out, I pulled the bike and trailer back into the lobby and settled into a comfortable chair to relax and read for a while. Of course I talked with everyone who stopped by to look at the bike, and I went outside every so often to see if the wind had died down. I really knew it hadn't based on the flags and plants outside, but I had to go stand in it just to be sure. The wind finally got more reasonable. I think it diminished to around 20 MPH, but more importantly, it changed direction. Two people who were pulling a sailboat came outside with me and said they thought the wind direction had changed to ENE. That was a rideable direction, so I finally checked out of the hotel at 11 and hit the road. I made a quick stop for an early lunch, then headed through Pueblo's city park and then north to pick up US 50 heading west. My only regret about today is that I didn't know it was going to be crazy windy. If I'd known I was going to start riding as late as I did I would have slept in! Even with my extra sleep yesterday morning, I still crashed early last night, and I plan to do the same tonight.

The wind shift gave me a pretty good ride. The few miles I was headed straight north were rough, but most of the ride was to the west. The new wind direction translated into mostly a tailwind. My initial plans were to get a little further than Canon City, but based on the time I pulled into town I decided to stay here. I figured that staying here or moving on probably means the same thing for tomorrow. By staying here I stopped at a reasonable time and I should get a decent night's sleep. If I kept riding I would have had a late stop and I probably wouldn't feel as good in the morning. Tomorrow I can stay at a hostel in about 35 miles, or I can stay at a hotel or campground at about 75 miles. That's quite a difference in mileage, especially given the terrain. I guess I'll have to see how I feel and see how the weather treats me tomorrow. If I make it all the way to Fairplay there is quite a bit of climbing involved - over Current Creek Pass, and partway up Hoosier Pass. Here's hoping it's a good day.

The mountains were shrouded in haze and clouds initially, but they started to clear as I got closer to them. I kept stopping to take pictures - I had to try. The pictures got better as the afternoon wore on.

When I pulled in to Canon City I saw a sign for tourist information, so I headed over that way. The Chamber of Commerce here needs to improve their signs. There was a sign pointing to the right, but there should have been a second sign immediately after the turn. I didn't see the tourist information cabin, so I stopped at a USDA office to ask directions. The guy who helped me with directions had just checked tomorrow's weather on the National Weather Service site on the Internet. He said it is supposed to rain tonight, and tomorrow is supposed to be calmer from a wind standpoint. That sounds good to me.

There are new birds gliding around out here, but none that I recognize. The ground squirrels and chipmunks have kept up their antics, so I have something to laugh at as I ride along. And so far they are staying away from the wheels of my bicycle. I just hate it when they decide to play suicide games and run between my wheels.

When I talked to my mom tonight, she delivered a message from my sister. I guess Suzie still doesn't accept my mode of travel. She puts up with me, but I think she wants me to come home. Suze thinks I should load my bike on a plane and fly to the Pacific to dip the wheels in the ocean. Then I can go home. But hey - I'm not done riding yet! I am past the halfway point of my trek, but there are still many more miles to go. Suze - I'm really OK.