Denise Goldberg's blog

Boston to Oregon, a cross-country celebration
It's time to live my dream of riding my bicycle across the country

Sunday, August 4, 2002

Rest & relaxation in Frisco

Ah, a real rest day... I slept until 8:30 this morning, then headed to the Log Cabin Cafe for a pecan pancake breakfast. Yum. There's an Internet cafe in town, so I spent an hour making use of their high-speed connection and a full-sized screen to catch up on other cyclist's journals. I spent some time wandering through Frisco and looking through the buildings in the Frisco Historic Park. This was a mining town, and was eventually transformed into a ski town after a very depressed period. It was a good choice for a place to rest, and unlike Ordway where I spent last Sunday, Frisco is alive on Sunday and doesn't roll up the sidewalks in the middle of the afternoon.

I had a good lunch at a bagel bakery - hummus and veggies on a wonderful sesame bagel. And I think I'm going to repeat that wonderful eggplant parmesan for dinner tonight. It was definitely a good eating day. In fact, I didn't do much today other than eat, relax, and read the Sunday paper.

The weather continues to be cool. It just rained briefly, and then the sun returned. The weather forecast for the week calls for isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon every day with reasonable temperatures.

I've been told that Frisco is the last green I'll see for a while, so I'll have to soak in the forest today and be prepared for a change in scenery tomorrow. That's part of what makes this trip so interesting - I never know what I'll find around the next corner.

I feel much better today, and I'm hoping for a return to my normal cycling energy levels tomorrow. For now, I'll continue resting, relaxing, and eating.