Denise Goldberg's blog

Boston to Oregon, a cross-country celebration
It's time to live my dream of riding my bicycle across the country

Wednesday, July 31, 2002

Wasn't this supposed to be a traveling day?

...closer to a real rest day in Pueblo, CO

Wait, wasn't I supposed to be back on the road today? That was the plan, but when I woke up this morning I was still really tired. I took a shower to try to wake up, ate breakfast, and was ready to head out the door. Then I thought about it and decided it would be smart to stay put. Feeling like I did, I don't think it would have been a great riding day. I extended my stay for another night, put a do not disturb sign on my door, and went back to bed. To my surprise, I slept until 11 AM. Then I pondered what I think would have been a pretty stupid move. Checkout time is noon, so I considered changing my mind and heading out at 11. I thought better of it though.

I did spend some time on the (unloaded) bike today. I looked up AAA and found that they have an office up on US 50. I headed up there to pick up maps of the remaining states on my trip - Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Oregon. I like to have the option to take alternate routes occasionally, and my state map supply ran out after I left Kansas. Since AAA doubles up states on their maps, those 5 states are covered on only 3 maps. I've been sending maps home as I finish with them, so my map stash is still smaller than it was when I started out. I also found a drugstore so I could pick up an ice bag for my knees. That should work a little better than the plastic bags I've been using since it's heavier material. Many thanks to Gladys Sims (Coasting 2002 on crazyguyonabike) for the suggestion.

In the process of riding to the outskirts of town to get to the AAA office I found the typical "motel strip". I'm so glad I'm staying in town and not out on US 50. It's amazing how look-alike cities are in these areas. If it wasn't for the different grocery store chains you wouldn't be able to tell what part of the country you are visiting.

It's a beautiful day, but hot again. It's 102 degrees, makes me very glad I didn't change my mind and start riding at noon. It would have been a rough day.

When I stopped at the Safeway this afternoon to pick up some food I had the same cashier as yesterday. He looked at me and said "I thought you'd be halfway up the pass by now". No, I needed another rest day, and one that was closer to a real rest day. I rode much further today, but overall I had quite a bit of sleeping and down time. I think it helped, I hope it helped...

Tomorrow I really will leave Pueblo and start heading into the mountains.