Denise Goldberg's blog

Boston to Oregon, a cross-country celebration
It's time to live my dream of riding my bicycle across the country

Sunday, August 11, 2002

Communing with grizzlies and wolves

West Yellowstone, MT

It's another sitting still day. I think I did myself in yesterday by not eating enough, so I decided to stay in West Yellowstone another day to sleep, soak in the hot tub, and eat! I got up and had breakfast, then went back to sleep until 10:30. What decadence! Then I found Jocee's Baking Company and picked up a blueberry scone for a mid-morning snack before I started wandering around.

Last night as I was about to fall asleep I thought I heard wolves. And it turns out that I did! The Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center here in West Yellowstone houses grizzlies that were either orphaned too young to survive in the wild, problem bears that would have been destroyed if they weren't accepted here, and wolves that were born in captivity and can't be released in the wild. Apparently some behaviors are instinct, but hunting is something that is taught by the older animals. The center studies and cares for the animals and is open for the public to view them. They are focused on respect, and I heard one of the naturalists ask children to be quiet and not to unnecessarily disturb the wolves. They also participate in testing new bearproof containers (garbage cans). Obviously the containers that are opened or destroyed by the bears are not approved for use. I'm really glad that I stayed today so I had a chance to see these marvelous animals. And I knew that there had to be a good use for the digital zoom on my camera - it definitely helps with animal pictures (even though I know it's just manipulating the pixels).

I'm about to go soak in the hot tub.

Later this evening I'll probably go back to the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center for a little while. The wolves sleep a lot during the day, and they are more active at night. I think I'd like to watch them play for a while.

Back on the bike tomorrow...

Thinking back on yesterday and not getting enough calories - I know I should have stopped for lunch before I left Old Faithful. And I think part of my problem was that I haven't been drinking as much Gatorade in the past few days. I went through a lot of it when it was hot out. Now that I have cooler temperatures I need to remind myself to drink more! OK Denise, concentrate on eating more! (You wouldn't think I'd need the reminders at this point in time, but sometimes I do! Guess I was too enthralled with where I was to pay attention to things like food...)