Denise Goldberg's blog

Boston to Oregon, a cross-country celebration
It's time to live my dream of riding my bicycle across the country

Thursday, August 29, 2002

Home again

North Andover, MA

It's hard to believe I've been home for a week already. The days of my trip seemed to blend together, and the days I've spent at home are doing the same thing. Walking into my condo after 2 1/2 months away definitely felt odd, but it felt like home too. I was pretty wacked from the overnight flight, so the first thing I did was throw my clothes into the washing machine and take a nap. And yes, I did set the alarm clock. I figured if I slept more than a couple of hours that I'd never get adjusted to Eastern time, but I knew if I didn't have a couple of hours of sleep that I wasn't going to function too well. And it felt great to be sleeping in my own bed. I have an air mattress (Select Comfort), so sleeping in a hotel bed doesn't feel much better than sleeping on the ground in my tent when I compare it to sleeping in my own bed!

After my nap I headed to one of the local farm markets to pick up some fresh produce. Ever since I got home I've been eating my favorite late summer foods - tomato sandwiches, fresh corn, the still wonderful summer fruits, and my own version of fruit smoothies. You can get smoothies on the road, but I use lots of fruit and plain yogurt in mine, and the smoothies you tend to find for sale usually include ice cream or frozen yogurt - it's just not the same. (Notice that I'm still focused on food!)

I'm definitely enjoying the simple things in life at home - my own bed, access to fresh fruits and vegetables, and good bread. It's been an adjustment to realize that I can wear different clothes every day if I want to, and I can use the washer and dryer at will - no more washing out my cycling clothes every night! I'm also enjoying changing my daily routine. For 2 1/2 months, I rode my bike all day, found a place to stay, took a shower, washed my clothes, got myself some food, wrote my journal entry, uploaded it, and went to sleep. Wow. That was a good routine, a lot of fun, but it's good to be home again.

I came home with the same enthusiasm for cycling that I started with. I did take a few days off, but I've been back on the road on my skinny-tire road bike. As usual, after riding a touring bike for a long time the road bike felt funny - but I'm definitely used to it again. I've been focusing on short rides so far since I'm still trying to catch up on sleep. It took me quite a while to get my body back on this time zone, but I hope I'm finally there. I've been riding without my camera for the first time in almost 3 months. I figured I didn't need it with me, but of course I was wrong. Yesterday I rode by a house with several goats in the yard, one of which was trying to climb the fence. That would have been a great picture!

It was a great trip, and a great experience, and I'm sure I'll do it again.