Denise Goldberg's blog

Boston to Oregon, a cross-country celebration
It's time to live my dream of riding my bicycle across the country

Thursday, July 11, 2002

Did you wreck?

Quincy, IL to Bowling Green, MO

Missouri, state number 8. Illinois will be the last state for quite a while that I'll be able to get through in a small number of days. I'll be in Missouri for quite a while since I'm heading quite a way south to meet up with the Transam, then I'll still need to ride west across the entire state. It's beautiful here so far, rolling green fields, hills, and big trees. I know the hills will soon become mountains as I move on to the Ozarks.

I started out this morning back on the Adventure Cycling route, which I followed as far as Hannibal. The surprise of the route was that I was able to cross the Mississippi on an interstate bridge. The sign on the entry ramp said non-motorized vehicles were prohibited, but it had the added clause "except bicycles" - just for the bridge crossing. It was another good bridge since it had a shoulder. I'm beginning to think I'm dangerous when I have a map in my hand, because I ended the day off route again. This time it was on the advice of someone I met in the post office in Hannibal. While I was preparing a package of maps and other extraneous stuff to send home, the security guard in the Federal Building (where the post office is located) came up to talk. She's a cyclist too, and is hoping to ride the Katy Trail later this year. That sounds like it should be a good ride. When she asked how I was leaving Hannibal and heard I was going to ride route 79, she recommended against it. 79 is a narrow, windy, and very hilly road. She and several other people I spoke to in Hannibal said that the road is beautiful, but is difficult even in a car. And she said that her brother-in-law, who is an experienced cyclist, finds it a hard ride. I decided I didn't need a preview of the Ozarks this early, so I opted to take US 61. It is a 4-lane divided highway, but like the other 4-lane roads I've been on recently, it has a nice wide shoulder. The shoulder was pretty bumpy for the first few miles, but then it smoothed out and stayed that way. One interesting thing I noticed is that most of the truck drivers were swinging into the left lane to pass me, even though I was hugging the right side of the shoulder which was nowhere near the driving lane. That was nice though, because some of those trucks have quite an air pull as they pass you. It was a good road to ride on, and I was able to zone out on the traffic noise. I'll continue down US 61 to Troy tomorrow morning, then I'll hop back on route.

It was a good people day today, starting with talking with people at breakfast, continuing over lunch at the Jumping Frog Cafe in Hannibal, and continuing with my conversation with the security guard at the post office. People here are really friendly. They are also both interested in and amazed by my trip. When I told someone this morning that I'd started riding north of Boston, MA, she said "you're kidding, right?".

I had a lazy morning today. I was thinking about just riding as far as Hannibal and hanging out there for the day.Hannibal is the birthplace of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain). I thought I'd go to a couple of the museums there, but when I arrived there I wasn't in a museum mood. I did spend some time there wandering through the tourist area and talking with people. Then I found the Jumping Frog Cafe for lunch, and then (of course) I continued riding.

My favorite comment from today's ride is "did you wreck?". I had stopped by the side of the road and laid the bike down on someone's lawn so I could grab a piece of paper from the trailer and write myself a note. I keep writing journal entries in my mind while I''m riding and then forgetting them when it comes time to really write them. A kid who lived at the house came out to ask me if I "wrecked".
The conversation went like this:
__Did you wreck?
__No, I just stopped to write myself a note.
__Yeah, but did you wreck?
He seemed pretty disappointed when I said no. I talked to him for a while, then talked with his mom too when she came out.

I saw a pretty funny sign yesterday. It said "Tourist information - Pea Ridge Arena, Camping, 9 miles. Open May to October, 8AM to 5PM". What kind of camping area is only open during the day?

Just writing Mississippi in my journal brings back memories of grade school spelling lessons. It's spelled just like it sounds, but I wonder who came up with the name (and the spelling).

New road kill today - frogs.
New "wildlife" too - well, not really wildlife - woolly caterpillars. I think they were trying to commit suicide. I kept seeing them wandering across the shoulder of US 61, heading for the driving lanes.
I got some bad news / good news last night. My mom is in the hospital, with what they think was some kind of mini-stroke (the bad news). She seems to be OK (the good news), and is currently waiting for test results. My first reaction was - I should fly back to be with her. But both my mom and dad said not to. She said she'd be pretty unhappy if I stopped riding because she is riding along with me. For all who are reading my journal - please send good thoughts her way. I'll keep you posted.






I was surprised - but happy - to see this sign. Bicycles aren't permitted on the interstates at all in the eastern states, but an exception was made for the bridge across the Mississippi leading into Hannibal, MO