Denise Goldberg's blog

Boston to Oregon, a cross-country celebration
It's time to live my dream of riding my bicycle across the country

Monday, June 3, 2002

To the ocean

North Andover, MA to Plum Island and back again

Let's see, I said I was going to start this trip on June 10th. So I guess today's ride could be classified as day 0 of my trip - or should that be day "-7"? Last week I decided to do an out and back ride to the Atlantic Ocean sometime this week to start my trip. Then on the 10th, I'll have the trek from the ocean to my house under my wheels, and I'll be able to leave my house heading west instead of starting east to head west.

When I looked at the week's weather forecast last night, it looked like today was going to be the best day of the week. I woke up to find an absolutely gorgeous day to ride to the ocean - so I guess my trip is officially started! I figured that I should take advantage of the opportunity to choose my weather for the official start of my trip, especially since I'll have to take whatever comes for the rest of the trip. It was sunny all day, with a bit of wind, and temperatures in the low 70s. In fact, I can't remember the last day I rode when it wasn't windy. The wind is probably good practice for what is apt to come!

I headed to Newburyport, and then out to Plum Island. I had to stop at the visitor information center in Newburyport for directions. I had a good biking map that showed Water Street and Plum Island Turnpike going right to the beach, but in typical eastern Massachusetts fashion, the roads weren't marked. I've lived in this area since 1985, and I still don't understand why the road signs here are so bad. Well, maybe I do understand - it's cheaper if you don't put signs up! What you find here is that if you are on what is considered to be a major road (and these roads can be just 2-lane country roads...), that the assumption is that you know what the road is. Typical.

While I was at the information center I spent some time talking to Bill from Harbortours. When he asked how long I thought my trip would take I told him it would probably be 3 months. That's when he told me he did a cross-country driving trip with his family and it took him 7 weeks. Hmmm... I wonder if that was one direction or round trip.







I asked someone I met on the beach to take this picture of me and my bike - I knew I needed an official start of the trip photo!











Of course, cleaning the bike yesterday seemed a little wacky today as I pushed it across the sand and into the water. Hmmm... salt water and sand. Guess I need to clean the bike again, although once the sand dried it dropped right off of the wheels.

As I left Plum Island I saw a fish market, so I stopped for a lobster roll for lunch. Yum. It was a good eating day - I stopped at one of my favorite ice cream places too as I got closer to home. The ice cream at Benson's is great - I was craving chocolate, so I had chocolate walnut fudge with chocolate jimmies. The only problem I have with the ice cream there is that the smallest portion is huge, so I always end up throwing some of it out. I hate wasting food, but I wouldn't have been able to move if I'd finished it!