Denise Goldberg's blog

Boston to Oregon, a cross-country celebration
It's time to live my dream of riding my bicycle across the country

Wednesday, June 19, 2002

Rest & relaxation

...visiting family

No riding today. It was a rest day, but my mom and I were busy all day. I thought I'd take a nap, but of course I didn't. Maybe rest days aren't meant for resting - just for taking a rest from biking. I have clean clothes, and a clean bike - it's all ready to start riding again and hopefully ready to avoid rain for a while. I tried to pick up some of that pink Finish Line Bike Wash, but the small bike shop we stopped at today didn't have a clue about any bike cleaners. Water and a little citrus degreaser did the trick though, along with some fresh lube. I've always tried to keep my bike clean, but I might have gone over the top today. I carry my multi-tool in my seat bag (the only bag I have with me that isn't waterproof), so it got pretty wet this week. When I pulled it out to use it yesterday I noticed that there was rust on a couple of the tools. I hate rust - so I had to clean the tools too. No more rust, and it's now in a plastic bag, still in the seat bag. Let's see how long that lasts.

I'm going to stay with my folks for another day. I'm really glad I decided to ride down here instead of having them come up to Boonville. It changed our visit from several hours to two days. Very nice. And my dad is going to borrow a truck so he can easily drive me and my toys (bike and trailer) back up to Boonville Friday morning to continue my trip.

Those black flies really got me. I'm still finding welts that are black fly bites. Hope they settle down soon.

My sister has been calling my trailer a truck. When I talked to her last night, she asked me where I was keeping my truck - I guess she didn't think I should bring it into the house. But of course it is in the house, and the bike is in the garage. She and my mom both thought I should bring the bike into the house too! It's happy out in the garage though, and I was afraid that since the dogs seem to like grease that they might decide to clean the chain for me.