Denise Goldberg's blog

Boston to Oregon, a cross-country celebration
It's time to live my dream of riding my bicycle across the country

Friday, May 24, 2002

The countdown continues

...just over two weeks before the bike & I take to the road

I can't believe how fast the time is flying. My trip is just over two weeks away, and I still get that "I think I'm about to jump off a cliff feeling" every so often. It's a mixture of excitement, joy to be off on a biking trip, and sheer nerves - but I know I'll be fine once I'm on the road. I had the same feeling before I set off on my previous trips, so I guess it's just a part of me.

It's been a good week for training rides, although the weather was pretty raw at the beginning of the week. Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous - blue skies, and temperatures in the high 60s and low 70s, my favorite. Today was a bit warmer, but still pleasant.

Time to practice pack - and everything does fit in the trailer. But I had a bit of an argument with myself about taking a stove with me. I decided that my trip is too long to be camping without being able to cook - although I could change my mind after I'm out on the road. The problem - I really don't want the smell of the fuel in with my clothes, tent, and sleeping bag. So I decided to put a rack on the bike and carry my cooking gear in a single pannier. It might look a bit odd - and certainly somewhat lopsided - but I've ridden with a single pannier before and it hasn't caused a balance problem. Hmm... backpackers must have solved the fuel smell problem, but I can't seem to get away from the odor. But I think the addition of the pannier solves the problem for me. If it ends up driving me crazy I'll try something else!

I also took some time this week to make sure that I really can update my journal using my little handheld PC. No problem. And I can even upload pictures successfully - as long as I remember to shoot some at 2 megapixels, not 4! I can use the compact flash card from the camera in the Jornada, either in the compact flash slot, or using the PCMCIA card compact flash adapter that fits in the Mindstor. I'm really happy about that. Now the only thing I will need to do is find a phone line every so often.

I'm going to owe my neighbors big time after this trip - they've agreed to pick up my mail and keep an eye on my place for me while I'm gone.

I still need to do some route planning. I didn't spend any time this week with my maps, so that project will need to be done next week. The puzzle - how to join up with the Northern Tier route in either New Hampshire or Vermont, with a starting point on the coast in northern Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire. I'm glad I'm using the Adventure Cycling maps for most of my trip. It's so much easier, although sometimes it feels like cheating.

I continue to talk with people about my trip, and I'm getting the usual mix of reactions. My friends know that I've wanted to ride across the US for a long time and are excited for me. Other people are very worried about my safety - or just think I'm crazy. Luckily I know this trip is the right thing for me to do and can ignore the "advice" of the people who either tell me not to go alone, or not to go at all! I think that all of us who attempt this type of journey must get the same types of reactions from people. I'm looking forward to the adventure, and to meeting new people and seeing new things, and I'm looking forward to doing the trip I've been dreaming of for years. And yes, I'm addicted to traveling by bike!

Things are really coming together.